8 corn tortillas, halved and thinly sliced
- Canola or olive oil cooking spray
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- 3 Anaheim or poblano chili peppers, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces (see Tip)
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Spread tortilla strips in an even layer on a baking sheet and coat with cooking spray. Bake until browned and crispy, 12 to 15 minutes. To make it even quicker, use crumbled baked tortilla chips in place of the homemade tortilla strips and skip Steps 1-2. Serve with vinegary coleslaw, lime wedges and hot sauce.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add peppers and onion and cook, stirring, until the onion begins to soften, 3 to 5 minutes. Add cumin and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add chicken, broth, tomatoes and their juice. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until the chicken is cooked through, 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in lime juice. Serve each portion topped with some of the baked tortilla strips, Cheddar and cilantro.
Makes 6 servings, about 1 1/3 cup each
Per serving: 288 calories; 12 g fat (4 g sat fat, 4 g mono); 56 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 20 g protein;
5 g fiber; 483 mg sodium; 404 mg potassium
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (40% daily value), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate servings: 1 ½
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 1 fat
TIPS & NOTES
- To trim boneless, skinless chicken thighs, we like to use kitchen shears to snip the fat away from the meat.
Find more healthy recipes at www.eatingwell.com
Home - Recipe Archive