Chicken with Honey Orange Sauce
2 navel oranges
- 2 tabelspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, (about 1¼ pounds) trimmed and tenders removed
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup white wine
- ½ cup golden raisins
- 2 tabelsppons honey
- 1 3-inch cinnamon stick
- ½ cup silvered almonds, toasted (see Tip)
- Zest and juice one orange. Remove the skin and white pith from the oter orange,
then halve and slice. Reserve zest and juice separately from the orange slices.
- Combine flour, ¼ teaspoon salt and peeper in a shallow dish. Dredge chicken in the flour, shaking off any excess. Transfer the remaining flour to a small bowl, add broth and whisk to combine.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook until browned, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate. Add wine to the pan and cook for 1 minute. add the flour-broth mixture, to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, return the chicken and any accumulated juices to the pan and cook, turning the chicken once or twice, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the meat registers 165°F and the sauce has thickened, 10-12 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a serving platter. Discard the cinnamon stick. Spoon the sauce over the chicken and garnish with the reserved orange slices and almonds.
Makes 4 servings.
Per serving: 420 calories; 13 g fat (2 g sat fat, 7 g mono); 74 mg cholesterol; 37 g carbohydrates; 31 g protein; 3 g fiber; 395 mg sodium; 587 mg potassium
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Magnesium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate servings: 2 ½
Exchanges: 2 ½ fruit, 3 ½ lean meat, 1 fat
TIPS & NOTES
- To toast silvered almonds, cook in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Find more healthy recipes at www.eatingwell.com
Home - Recipe Archive