Summer Tomato and Corn Salad with Basil
- 1 large ear local yellow or yellow and white corn
- 3 ripe medium tomatoes
- 1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions, green and white parts
- 1/3 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. mustard powder
- Freshly ground pepper
- 4-5 large basil leaves
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh mint, optional
- Shuck corn and steam for 3 minutes. When corn is cool enough to handle, cut kernels off ear and place in mixing bowl.
- Half tomatoes vertically and cut one half into 4 wedges for garnish. Remove seeds from remaining tomatoes. Chop tomatoes and add to corn. Add red pepper, green onions and sweet onion. In small bowl, whisk lime juice with salt, mustard powder and 4 or 5 grinds pepper until salt dissolves. Pour dressing over salad and toss gently with fork to combine. At this point, salad can sit up to 15 minutes.
- Just before serving, stack basil leaves, then cut crosswise into thin strips, and add to salad. Add mint, if using.
Toss to combine herbs with salad. Garnish with tomato wedges. Serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings. Serving Size: 1 cup.
Per serving: 45 calories, <1 g fat (0 g sat fat), 10 g carbohydrates, 2 g protein, 2 g fiber, and 2 g fiber 242 mg sodium.
Print this recipe:
As a Word doc
As a PDF
The American Institute for Cancer Research www.aicr.org
Home - Recipe Archive